I got the J in the mail today. I think it is way too small and too simple for the cake design I am looking at. It is basically a flat piece of metal, which I knew going in but thought it might be tall enough - it's just not.
Using the kleenex box as the cake (oh so classy!) this is what it would look like with the elephants. Now looking at the two cakes below I think the elephants need a little classier/fancier backdrop. Otherwise it will make the cake look like we don't care!
This cake will be 4 layers of cake with filling in between each layer, Then vanilla buttercream frosting all around, and white chocolate pearls. I am starting to lean towards this for many reasons. A: white chocolate is my favorite. B: It's pretty and it tastes good! C: Just because I like it.
The cake below she said is totally do-able, I have had this picture for years and it's always the one I come back to. I love the clean lines. Basically it's horizontal ribbons piped on. And then we could do a column of buttons on each layer to match the buttons on the back of my dress. This cake would be the base price. The above cake with the white chocolate pearls would be another $38-60, depending on the size of cake we get. (And I wouldn't do these exact flowers of course, but maybe a few flowers)
We are going to do 3 tiers and a kitchen cake. When we met with the baker, Laurie, to taste test cake the other day, she said the full tiered cake would be about 45 minutes to cut. That's a long stretch of time, so it costs less and will take less time to cut if we do a smaller 3 tiered cake and a kitchen cake. The kitchen cake is $1 less per serving and will be exactly like the tiered cake: 4 layers, filling, then just a buttercream frosting, so it won't be fancy schmancy looking on the outside but it will match the wedding cake, rather than having just a plain sheet cake. That way we can also have 2 cakes being cut at the same time.
We are going to have a cake brigade, but there are instructions on cutting, and she recommended not having too many people involved. 2 per cake at any given time - 1 to cut, 1 to hold and hand off plates. Then the servers can take the plates to the guests.
I am in talks with one other cake baker, and there is a bakery at Bales Thriftway that has been highly recommended so we will see about tasting those, but I am completely happy with Laurie Clarke Cakes! I don't feel the need to talk to others unless they do free tasting. This one was a $25 charge that will be refunded if we order a cake for 100+ people. Most people have started charging for tastings I am finding.
Comments are welcome. Ideas, feedback, shreeks of joy! More on the tasting later, Wally just walked in the door, time for dinner!

Oh my gosh I love the elephants! I also love the lined cake - I think the pearls like buttons would be gorgeous! Just one thought about the other, "pearl-y" cake with the elephant toppers - and why yes, I do have a house full of small animals, why do you ask? - to me, the random placement and clusters of the pearls, situated under the elephants, might just from a distance give the sense of piles of . . . So I'm really loving the clean lines!
ReplyDeleteKaren